Thursday, April 28, 2011

Regal and royal

I may have moved here about 20 months ago, but more than ever, I have been more intune with milestones that have popped out of nowhere. I thought nothing of waking up,a year ago, to days whereby I thought I was merely getting on with things.

The milestones of the day I first landed, the day I got my first apartment, the day I met my BFF Laura, my first snowfall.... they are all important.

But the ones that creep up are equally a personal triumph, a little less memorable, but I appreciate them none the less.

Over a year ago, I had no idea what I was creating, no idea what would come of what I would do on a day to day basis.

For example; Last weekend with a sunny, hot easter, hanging in the park with a group of fantastic people I am lucky to call my friends, was a true joy. Compare that to a year ago, where I was hanging out with friends visiting from London, with no idea of where to really take them, and no locals to really introduce them to either, because.... I didn't really know anyone.

Almost a year ago, it was the eve before Queen's day.

I remember getting off the tram from work, with no idea of what I was going to do, who I was going to meet up with (if anyone), where the night would take me.

Tonight, as I was searching for something to wear (because I hate the colour orange, I have nothing in my wardrobe of that hue) I fielded calls from friends as I shopped, reminiscing about what we were all doing this time last year, and it crossed my mind, I knew none of them this time last year and thoughts passed through my mind of what kind of life I had created in a year... and what I could possibly create in more coming years here.

I thought last Queen's day could of possibly been my one and only, and here I am about to experience my second with lessons learnt such as:

- buy beer early
- bring beer with you throughout the day
- bring cash to buy random second hand things
- get out of the house early
- try to find something classy but orange to wear (even though it's hard) because it's bad form to not wear anything orange at all
- bring a camera with plenty of battery
- wear sensible walking shoes

Last year, at the traditional unveiling of a giant Queen Beatrix related artwork on a the facade of a pub called "The Blaffing Vis" ( The Barking Fish), there was Queen Beatrix in a 5 storey high characiture, dressed as super girl, with the speech bubble, "Be a Hero!"

She's so cool, she's kind of my hero. For no other reason than she's just more hip than Queen Liz of England.


This year, we're going to do it all again for the Queen B of the Netherlands.

Here's to new friends, new adventures... and possibly, being able to treat this Queen's day like it might not be my last one ever.

No comments: