Wednesday, June 20, 2012

"Just act normal."

 My friend Vanessa told me to do that because I wasn't sure how to say goodbye to Amsterdam.

So, in case nobody's picked up on this yet, I've decided to go back to Australia, thereby ending my time in Europe.

I've resigned from my job, I'm selling my wares and I'm packing up.

I have heard from a few expats here that the 3 year mark is around the time that the city makes you or breaks you. It's the milestone whereby the long term expat community either unconsiously or conciously gives you a "badge of honour", by recognising your determination and ability to stick around.

A knod of understanding that you "get" the things that all the other expats know about living as an ousider to dutch society. 

I have no idea what lies ahead for me. In fact, nothing looks very promising right now.

No job, no house, no car, no outline of a plan.

Well, that's no true.

The Australian economy is going pretty well. My family and friends seem to be looking forward to my return.  

But not having a job, a house, a car or a plan when I move seems to be my kind of thing.

I've done it before and I can do it again.

No comments: