Monday, July 6, 2009

London Here I come

Changi Airport, T1.

9.10pm: Waiting in line to check in to my flight, I am reasonably concerned about the amount of children I see around me with tired, nonchalant parents. Cranky children. Screaming children. Naughty children. Of all ages. I beg the girl at the counter, for an aisle seat at the back.

She shakes her head.

A window seat.

She shakes her head again, without sympathy. Obviously the screaming broods of infants are getting to her too.

She said she'd talk to her supervisor to see what she can do. I am without hope as she walks across to see another pissed off looking ground crew chick person.

I discover I was right not to hope, when she returns.

Shit out of luck today.

Eventually, I resort to begging her to put me somewhere, ANYWHERE that doesn't have a child within a 6 seat radius of me, at least.

She gives me a thin smile, and just hands me my boarding pass.

I guess there's no chance of an upgrade then, huh?

10.15pm: Deliberating whether to eat or not. I dare say that if I purchase something here it will be the best and most reasonably priced asian food I will have for a long time. Right, having just written that, I am off to get some food.

1 comment:

cewek said...

Not to worry Banis, you can still eat yummy Asian food in London!

There is a cheap Malaysian restaurant called C&R Cafe Restaurant in Soho;

http://www.yell.com/ucs/UcsSearchAction.do?keywords=Malaysian+Restaurant&companyName=C%26R&location=London&x=0&y=0&scrambleSeed=54171768&searchType=advance&M=0&lastKeyword=&lastClarifyIndex=&lastClarifyOptions=&lastSearchall=&lastSearchallTax=&lastbandedclarifyResults=&bandedclarifyResults=&ssm=0

They do an amazing sago pudding there for 4 quid.

If you want Thai food try BusabaEatThai (there are a few of them! My fave is the one is the one on Wardour Street, Soho) They do an AWESOME pad thai!

www.busaba.com

Another great Thai restaurant chain (everything is a chain over there) is called Thai Square. Try the one right opposite Trafalgar Square. The building used to be the Norwegian embassy - v. dramatic!

Granted the last two recommendations aren't the cheapest but just in case you were missing Thai food...

For Japanese food, try the cafe on the ground floor of the Japan Centre, Picadilly (that's what the street is called). It's located behind Tower Records. Just follow the Japanese students. They do great don dishes. My fave is the chicken with egg don.

Unfortunately London doesn't do good Indonesian food. Trust me. We've tried. It's rubbish.

Have a great time in London! I miss it so much!