Thursday, July 9, 2009

Mistress of my own destiny

Yesterday:

7.56 am

Lauren: What are you going to do today on your first official day here?
Me: I don't know. I'm confused. It seems like there is so much to do here. I read my guide book, I can't decide what I really want to see or do first. What do you think?
Lauren: Well you could go to Buckingham Palace, or Camden Markets, or the Tate, or go see the live art installation, or go to Soho ...
Me: I don't want to go to Buckingham Palace.
Lauren: You can't be here, and NOT go to Buckingham Palace.
Me: Yes, I can, I am not your average tourist, I don't necessarily like the typical sights. I am an easy going, non committal tourist....Maybe I'll go to Westminster Abbey, at least that sounds interesting, and I'm not just looking at the outside facade of a building that means nothing to me.
Lauren: Just go to Buckingham Palace, and get it over and done with.
Me: Mmmm....how about 'no'. Maybe I'll catch the number 11 bus and go past all the sights and hop and hop off if I feel like it, and get some other stuff over and done with.
Lauren: Well, get up and do something, don't waste the day...(gets up to walk out the door to go to work)... Remember ... You are master of your own destiny now!! Have a good day! (shuts door behind her)
Me: That is way too profound for a Wednesday morning 8am conversation.

No comments: