Sunday, September 12, 2010

The gift of music

Man I love the internet. Echt Waar.

Isolated from the usual "cool indexes" have made me more resourceful in finding new music, and I am loving the internet for this exploration!

AND, revisiting old stuff is really getting me excited too!

That which facilitates my musical journeys: Soundcloud and Spotify

That which has revealed secrets bands and artists to me:

Subbacultcha.nl - Indie Music, culture, art, stuff.

22tracks.nl - Every week, people in the know about tunes and beats in NL put up their favourite 22 tracks. Most genres covered. It's like a special guest playlist every week.

Pitchfork.com - Dunno what this is really. But I like it.

Hypebeast.com - Searching for and uncovering street style, muziek, gadgets, and exhibits. Just generally flogging stuff that hipsters devour.

My friends Leslie, Sylvie and Nick, and my cousin Ria for their endless music posts on facebook. Yay for friends into so many types of music.

Laura - She quirky taste. I like some of it.


Here are some tunes and artists that my ears and soul are really in sync with at the moment:

Onra - I went to their gig at some underground club in the far west neighborhood of Slotervaart. In the middle of this middle-class neighborhood, a "club" has opened, VLLA. Part old recreation club/RSL, part clubbing treasure, the backyard was full of candles and old bath tubs to lounge in, and an old caravan to chill out in. Liked the house party feel.Disliked the "munt" (token) payment system for drinks. 1 token = 2.30 EU, and a beer was 1 munt, a wine was 1.5 munts. Pre purchase your tokens before you head to bar. A scam to make more money and have you care less about your plastic tokens, the drunker you get. Oh yeah, and 2 toilets. And the feeling everyone was waiting around for something all night, not a great party vibe.

This Parisian "hip hop beatmaker" played some sexy music, that not everyone loved. Well, I like it. Unfortunately, everyone else DJ'ing last night was crap. (In my opinion). I don't like a lot of electronic music, but especially not looping, shitty, experimental house. Never have, never will.



The Cults - Film students from NYC. Cute.






The Eels - Been around for ages. And I am just catching on. Me likey.



Erykah Badu - I love soul sisters.




Passion Pit - Love love love. In fact, I am giving them two video mentions. One for my happy song (Little Secrets) and one for a cool video.(The Reeling)




No comments: