Thursday, May 12, 2011

I am adding the United Nations to my resume today.

Coincidentally, so is the ex-ceo of the company I work for.

As the company has split into two seperate companies (as opposed to the old structure of the two branches), he announced he will be working for 6 months with the head of the United Nations.

I am frightened, surprised and pleased at the same time at my new appointment. Even though it's on an ad-hoc basis for a week at a time, it's still a really big deal.

This is an opportunity I have always wanted to do, and it makes complete sense for me to be doing it. It really rolls all the things that I've ever wanted to do into one huge opportunity.

When I was younger I wanted to be a journalist, and now, in a way, I am about to become one.

When I first concocted the idea of travelling, I was thinking that volunteering for AUSAID would be pretty cool.

I never ever thought I would ever be able to go of the front line of anything by myself, except for maybe, a concert.

I don't think I really know what I've got myself into, but I guess it's one of those time will tell situations.

I was told yesterday that the interview was just a formality, but I had the role from my internal application and they wanted me from my first round application.

Even if I don't go anywhere, it's nice to know that I was the first choice for the role.

Read more about the organisation I am volunteering for below:


WFP - Fighting hunger worldwide
www.wfp.org

The World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide.

In emergencies, we get food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After the cause of an emergency has passed, we use food to help communities rebuild their shattered lives.

WFP is part of the United Nations system and is voluntarily funded.

Born in 1961, WFP pursues a vision of the world in which every man, woman and child has access at all times to the food needed for an active and healthy life. We work towards that vision with our sister UN agencies in Rome -- the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) -- as well as other government, UN and NGO partners.

In 2011 we aim to reach more than 90 million people with food assistance in more than 70 countries. Around 10,000 people work for the organization, most of them in remote areas, directly serving the hungry poor.

WFP's five objectives:

  • Save lives and protect livelihoods in emergencies
  • Prepare for emergencies
  • Restore and rebuild lives after emergencies
  • Reduce chronic hunger and undernutrition everywhere
  • Strengthen the capacity of countries to reduce hunger

No comments: