Friday, June 24, 2011

The kids are hard core

My apartment. 8:30pm, Friday night

Sounds of dull thudding basslines are emanating from the little park across the road which is behind a primary school. Momentary pause of thudding followed by chants of "One- Two - Three" in dutch and a thousand pre-pubescent girly voices scream in enthusiasm after the count of three.

Me: How old do those girls sound? Like 12?

Flatmate: Yeah, it sounds like a kiddy party.

After the screaming dies down, thumping bass continues into fast paced house track, then gets manipulated by an invisible DJ and wound right down into a reggae track with an MC rapping over the slow groove.

It sounds, to be frank, highly charged with sexual connotations.

Me: The 12 year olds are listening to reggae here?

Flatmate's girlfriend: Only in Amsterdam..!*

* I'm guessing she meant that in the rest of the Netherlands, the 12 year olds are not as "urban" per se, and would be listening to more wholesome, conservative things... for example; dutch pop like De Toppers.

Jesus. Am I getting old? Making the call on what 12 year olds should and should not be listening to? I mean, I was listening to Britney Spears (speaking of sexually explicit) when I was about 16... and R n B songs that were screaming hoochie mama this, and mo fo that when I was about 12.

Shit. I am getting old.


No comments: