Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Dutch domination

Nederlands 3
Uruguay 2

They are in...!!!!

Pretty amazing stuff to be experiencing here. Honestly, I never thought they were going to be able to do it. What do I know about soccer... I was going to say "nothing", but I know more than I know about cricket. But I didn't think the dutch had a chance really. I'm thinking Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Germany - Yes, Yes, Yes. Netherlands? Meh.

I cycled home from a soccer party (Who am I?!) held at a monstrous dutch student household that a kiwi friend, Christina, invited me to. (These jongens weren't fooling around. Their backyard had couches, tarps and a projector beaming the game on a white piece of fabric. Heineken flowed as freely as cursing, and eventually, man hugs.)

As I made my way home, right hand steering the bike, bandaged hand flailing about, (notably, I was taking a major chance with the one handed cycling. I won't get into the part where I narrowly missed an ill fated 2 car, 3 bike pile up on my way to the party) the noise of trumpets and cheers was deafening. Orange clad blonde giants spilled out onto the streets, chanting dutch songs about victory, championship and just blatant non sensical noises of jubilation. Cue random strangers clutching each other, misty eyed. Spot conga lines gyrating past suddenly grounded trams, motionless due to being enveloped by throngs of people. As I cycled past bars and weaved across streets, people were trying to high five me and grab my bandaged hand. I had to smile nervously and pedal faster, gritting my teeth;

"Thanks for reaching out to me in this moment of solidarity but if you touch my hand I am going to have to get off my bike and smack you in the face with that trumpet."

Ja, sorry hoor, ik ben heel blij voor jouw, maar ik wil niet dat je nu me aanraken!

Tot Zondag - Wie zal de Wereld Kup winnen? Nederlands of Spanje of Duitsland?


No comments: