Thursday, July 14, 2011

Gogh Crazy

sneaky picture taken by me inside the Van Gogh museum



After two years in Amsterdam, I finally made it to the Van Gogh Museum last Friday.

Initially I wanted to go because I had heard they have this special Friday night programme where bands and DJs play in the foyer.

I went with BFF Laura who who is an aspiring photographer and another friend, M, who is an animator. M has lived here all his life, and never been.

When I turned up a bit later than the others, I noticed the line was much shorter than I thought, but I got to skip it anyway because I have a Museum card (which gets me free entrance for any museum worth going to in the country for a one off purchase.)

We met inside at a one off exhibition they had created which was about Van Gogh's time in Antwerp and Paris. Then we went to get a drink, see the band, and then we went to the first floor where the normal gallery starts.

And we parted ways to explore...

An hour or so later, we met each other again downstairs and we were all visibly excited.

Each of us had never been because we all thought it was this over rated space that only tourists go to, but we all had the same eye-opening experience, on the same heightened level.

It was unanimous between us that Vincent Van Gogh was a genius.

We all had our favourite pieces, and favourite eras, but I was surprised to see that we all enjoyed it, and had the same sense of... enlightenment!

I only got to see the first floor and the basement, but I really need to go back and make an effort to see more of it next time.

No comments: