Friday, July 1, 2011

Little document, massive importance

Aaaaaah, the passport.

I keep mine in the same place in my apartment, regardless of how disorganised I may be with the rest of my life.

Last night I went to dinner at my friend Adam's place, and after about five minutes of sitting at his dining room table I noticed his passport on the ground. When I handed it to him he kind of casually tossed it aside somewhere.

I alway remember when I lived in Australia, I always booked travel and thought of my passport as an after thought. Usually it was expired, and I had to pay the exorbitant rush fee to have to reinstated within the time frame of which I needed it to go travel. I could probably name about 3 people I know that have had to do the same thing.

Day to day life just didn't require having to know where it is, how old it is, and how full it is.

Here, in Europe, I am always reaching for the thing to prove my identity - in fact, I know the number off by heart and all the issuing details.

It's much for the same for everyone I know here. I am pretty sure everyone I know would know exactly where theirs was if I rang them right now.

It's just another way life differs here - with intercountry travel being so easy and at for some people, a daily thing (my old boss commutes from Amsterdam to Brussels 2-3 times a week), toting that little booklet is just like carrying a bank card or packet of cigarettes.

I could probably safely say I could let mine gather dust as soon as I went back home.

No comments: