Saturday, July 9, 2011

Songbird, you got tales to tell...

Somewhat torn between whether or not I am a creative, a project manager, or a strategist (I'm not bad at all three things, but not particularly excellent in any...), you might have guessed that I love ads. And communications. But mostly ads.

Commercial Art.

"Advertising is art with a deadline." ( And a lot of money and a lot of round table discussions to please a billion scared stakeholders.)

I live in Ad City. There are a LOT of ad agencies here, a lot of creatives, a lot of big brands, a lot of talent in the pool, a lot of blood sweat and tears, and possibly, a lot of lonely overworked people.It's a shame the industry doesn't like me, but that's another blog post.

Of course, like all things that aren't facts (physics, for example) ads are subjective. But the components of all good ads are well written (and then well executed) stories.

Human beings love a story. Helps them make sense of life (The Bible), helps them get distracted from reality (Entourage), helps them educate their society (Neolithic cave drawings).

I love stories. I am a story teller.

Here is one of my favourite ads, made by the creme de la creme of agencies in the world, Wieden + Kennedy (Amsterdam office)


And there are more tales to tell - besides the tv ad, Heineken also have a channel where you can get to know some of the characters a little better. View it here.



No comments: