Monday, June 22, 2009

Aunty comes to town

My cousin Ayi and his wife Caroline have a three year old daughter called Tatiana.

She's a bit of a princess because she's the only child, and the only grandchild for both sets of granparents but she's a funny kid. Bright, a little demanding, but has heaps of 'spunk'.

My mum thinks she and I are heaps alike. Her parents think she and I have a 'good connection'.

She's a bit mixed up because her idols at the moment are the Virgin Mary, St Bernadette of Lourdes, and all the Disney Princesses; Arial, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Snow White, Princess Jasmine, and Belle. Go figure.


She's also bi-linguil, so she speaks Indonesian and English.



The other day she asked her grandma if she could kiss her bedroom floor. She must have thought it was holy or something. Her grandma said " of course not", but she did it anyway.



She woke up the other night after her midday nap, and was in a really grumpy mood, and insisted we go to this suburb in Jakarta called Puncak. When we asked her what was there, and why we had to go there, she said "Don't ask stupid questions." Later, when we pressed her for more information, she then revealed, she "was expected at the Priest's birthday party."
Riiiiiight.


Ever since I came to town, she's gotten a bit attached to me, which is cute.


"Tante Rani! Watch me swim."


"Tante Rani! Come have a shower with me."


"Tante Rani! Sit here while I eat."


And she always wants to know "Why?"


"Why are the lights changing colour?"


"Why are you eating that?"


"Why is the dolphin playing with the little mermaid?"


We went out for some gelati last night at an Italian cafe, after I saw Barack's school. She and I shared a strawberry gelati together.










I love the look on her face as she tucks in to her gelati. Priceless.




No comments: