Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Credit Cards... a simple question

When I was about 10, I came to Indonesia to visit my parents and happened to catch a look at my dad's credit card. I was amazed because on the front of it, it had a picture of him. Obviously, makes sense for security reasons, but i wasn't aware of digital photography back then or scanning technology or whatever.

I just caught a glimpse of my mum's DEBIT card, and it has her picture on the back of it, and the strip where the signature usually goes is all blacked out, and her signature is printed underneath, like how Australian driver's licenses have scanned signatures that are reprinted.

Why don't Australian banks print our pictures on our credit cards? Doesn't that make more sense than trying to remember ANOTHER pin or coming up with stupid gimmicks like "Personalise your debit card with a picture of your dog for $15 more than our average boring design?"

If a second world country like Indonesia has got it sussed, WTF are Australian banks doing?

No comments: