Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Global Warming Crusaders or Lance Armstrong wannabes?


View Larger Map





I slept over at a cousin's house over the weekend, after my Saturday night out with some family. Early in the morning, my mum came to pick me up (awwwww...) and as we were driving, I saw the oddest sight. At first I thought it was a demonstration early on a Sunday morning, but my mum told me it was something else... it was about 300-450 recreational cyclists, cycling down a main Jakarta street. Because it's still early in the morning ( abuot 7am) the usually chaotic and busy streets are emptier than usual, making it safe(r) to cycle as they wish.

The weird thing is, this wasn't your usual bunch of espresso sipping, leg shaving, tightey whitey wearing amateur cyclists... there were only a handful in cycling spandex, most were men in weird get ups, some were geriatric women with pink bikes and plastic flowers on their front baskets. Pretty much all of them were cycling in old bikes, some rusty, some looked like kids bikes that were done up with a few hotted up pieces, only one or two were using the really expensive lightweight pro bikes. About 4 of them were wearing helmets. All of them were hilarious.








No comments: