Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Spreken Nederlands? Only if we are talking about eating.

Well, it's not fluent, but it's impressing people. The days at the restaurant are paying off. You CAN learn while hungover.

A colleague that I had never met before came back from holidays yesterday. I had lunch with him today to get acquainted and talk shop.

I surprised him, when we ordered, I asked for a "Coffee Verkeerd". (equivalent of a latte, i guess...)

He sort of smirked and I said "what was so funny?"

He said he thought it was nice that I was trying to speak dutch. "Trying" being the operative word.

Then as we were eating (Indian curry soup for me, and a rice and fish stew - getting used to the 2 course lunches to get me through the day, since I don't get home til 7pm these days- and he had 2 rolls with egg and cheese!!!! - "broodje met kaas en ei" - no condiments, no vegetables, no meat - and a pastry with honey.... COLD LUNCHES, they think HOT LUNCHES ARE WEIRD!! Aaagh!), he said, "how's your meal?"

and I said, without batting an eyelid, "Is goed. Heel lekker. Bedankt." ( It's good. Very delicious. Thanks.)

And he laughed and said, " Why is it that the only dutch you know is related to food?"

Even the Dutch are starting to notice my obsession.

1 comment:

cewek said...

Well at least you're not going to be one of the annoying idiotic Asians that only points at food (even though there is a sign telling the name of the food and yes they are literate) and say "one". Yes I'm speaking from experience; working at the bakery!

Keep on going!