Saturday, March 27, 2010

Febo-licious - a post for Ade


Fly yourself to Amsterdam
Canals, bicycles and rain
Carrying your groceries against the wind
can be a freaking pain
When things get tough like that

Don't try and be a hero
Seek refuge amongst the oil and fries
and tuck into some FEBO
( Dedicated to Ade. xxx)

FEBO -

Made of the words "Ferdinand Bolstraat"

The first ever FEBO was on Ferdinand Bolstraat, a hip street in a hip Amsterdam suburb called De Pijp. Now a snackbar franchise claiming to be the "de lekkerste" - the most delicious.

Deep fried snacks in cubicles, with a vending machine system, where coins go in the slot, and you are free to open the door to select your somewhat lukewarm, soggy, deep fried snack, or chicken burger.

Ugh. It just sounds wrong. So so wrong. It also looks wrong.

When my cousin Ade came to town I had to take her there, to cure her fascination. It was my first and last time.

The irony? I have stayed away from that place for over 8 months, and I still got fat here.

The only thing I love about the place is that it is SO Amsterdam, and I love watching people seek refuge and pop in, from all races, ages, socio econonic classes, when it's raining and stand there munching their croquets, and fries, chatting while waiting for the rain to stop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FEBO

No comments: