Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The lowdown on Italy aka A recap on defying death

Apart from almost dying in Cinque Terre, Italy is underwhelming me.

Yes, UNDERwhelming me.

I don't really know what else to ask for; brilliant weather, 3 days of sea views in the cutest little apartment in Corniglia, local tips on where to eat creating some of the most lipsmacking memories I'll ever have, and a double cone of gelati every day, sublime friends to share these experiences with, and now, my own studio apartment in Florence for the night (at a bargain basement price) before I head to Hamburg.

How could this be? What's wrong with me?

Could it have something to do with the fact that the second day I started my holiday, I caught a cold? Or that I almost drowned in Manarola on Sunday?

After hiking from Corniglia to Manarola, then to Riomaggiore, then back to Manarola, Tim, Lauren, Sarah and I peered from over the edge of the cliff face into the little boat harbour/rock pool swimming area.

"It's a bit of a washing machine out there?" Sarah mused as we watched waves crash in and out from every direction.

"I don't think I'm strong enough to swim in that, but I'll sit by the edge with someone." I said.

We headed down the ramp.

10 minutes later, I'm bikini-clad by the edge, and I sit on a wet part of the boat ramp, 30 cms infront of Lauren. Sarah comes to join me. I squeal as some waves crash onto us, and chat with Sarah as some don't even make it near us.

Next thing I know, a wave comes in and I am laughing, and then the next nanosecond, I am being D-R-A-G-G-E-D out to some rocks by the force of the tide going out. Apparently everyone at the dock and on the rocks stood up and gasped and pointed at me.
I got pulled under. I tried to swim back to Lauren and Sarah, meanwhile they are screaming out to me to swim back out. Waves are crashing. My head gets pulled under. And it bobs back up. And goes under again. I have no idea how, but I somehow manage to make it out to a safe patch and a guy is swimming towards me, motioning for me to follow him, so I do.

I climb out of the water via the ladder, and sit on the rocks for a minute, trying to process what just happened. Little children are staring at me. In fact, everyone is staring at me. I'm shaking, but laughing at the same time. This lasts for about an hour. Then we make our way back home to Corniglia and I fall asleep pretty much straight after dinner.

My wrist hurts. And I have cuts on my feet and my hips. But my head and bones are still in tact.

Something out there is looking out for me.

Or, I've found my purpose in life - to serve as a constant warning to others.

1 comment:

Wood said...

Dude...

Glad you're ok and didn't drown.

Did you at least eat some pesto?