Thursday, August 5, 2010

A New Lustre

I wonder if a relationship with a city is the same as any other relationship? Does it require work, and a little bit of effort from both parties to keep the spark alive?

Exchanges of meaningful dialogue, mixed with a lot of fun, a bit of alone time together, some honest moments, and some sensual seduction?

Amsterdam and I went through a bit of a rough patch a little while ago, but since last weekend, I have some renewed faith in our partnership.

I long thought my cries for tenderness and an opportunity to "let me in" were being met with a cold stillness - a vague mutter of a response here and there, met with a lot of resistance and aloofness.

But upon reflection, Amsterdam needed some time to adjust to my presence. I sort of landed, and demanded (as I usually do) undivided attention.

"Hello, I'm here. Praise me for the wonderful human being that I am and for gracing your city with my vivacious presence."

But a new world, means a new cultural perception. I think Amsterdam just wanted to take it slow, and inch by (cycled) inch, it allowed me to get to know it a bit better.

You're an intriguing and enigmatic city Amsterdam, and it is at both my detriment and to my best interest, that I fell for you, and persist with our relationship.

This Saturday is my one year Anniversary of landing in Amsterdam, and also the annual Gay Pride parade, a celebration to take place down the central Prinsengracht canal. I missed it last year by a day or so.

Since I got back from Switzerland, I feel like I entered a new era here.

I wouldn't want to be anywhere else right now.

No comments: