Monday, April 12, 2010

Ah-maaaaaazing dinner

I just had the most amazing dinner with my auntie in Amsterdam's Old South.

She wanted to take a trip down memory lane because she used to live and work there, once upon a time, as an intern at a law firm, about 25 years ago.

We went to her old stomping ground, and along the walk of the high street, she she spotted a restaurant and said " That's where we are having dinner tonight." No old ties to it or anything, just saw it and clicked that she wanted to eat there.

Anyway, there were no menus (much to my embarrassment when I asked for one.) Only a wine list. The waitress explained that the menu was the same thing for everyone, all the time.

First course was a green salad with walnuts and mustard dressing. Second course was your choice of pan seared sole with french fries or medium rare entrecote with french fries. (Hello - it's Holland: french fries are another food group, not just a fast food thing.)

Then as you were almost finished that course you get another round of the same thing.

"Did she just say, you get another round of the second course???" I thought. Not wanting to make a fool of myself again, I just knodded and smiled, waiting for the magic to be brought to my table.

Oh my god. And magic it was. Paired with my organic sauvignon blanc from some blessed place in France, I was, literally, speechless.

And did I have seconds? Errrr....no brainer.

"I'll have more of EVERYTHING!" I almost declared loudly and triumphantly when the waiter brought more entrocote and sole to the table , asking if we would like more. But I resisted and politely murmured "Yes, that would be lovely, dank je wel."

Everything melted in my mouth. I have no idea what sort of sauce came with the entrecote, but it was green and could have been a salsa verde, but I believe it was green butter. Not garlic and parsley butter. Just butter. Disguised as a sauce.

And to top it off, I shared dessert with my aunt. A massive portion of île flottante (floating island), which I had never had before.

The website is fantastic and actually speaks volumes about the whole dining experience. Make sure you watch the flash slideshow of the pictures. It's like reliving a short trip to heaven. (select "diashow" on the homepage)

www.entrecote-et-les-dames.nl

1 comment:

cewek said...

See this is where pictures of your food would have been really useful!