Thursday, April 29, 2010

K-dag

Queens day = Koninginnendag

Tomorrow, 30 April. 

Celebrating the birthday of Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands, whose birthday is actually in February, but due to the shit weather during that time of the year, has remained as celebrated on the birthday of her mother, Queen Juliana, who has since passed.

The eve before K-dag is a big party night, and the actual day is HUGE in Amsterdam. It's the only day where people are allowed to freely sell their old goods on the street ( Garage sales here are not really done) the canals are full of boats and party people, and 800,000 people flock to Amsterdam and it becomes the party capital of the Netherlands. 

Dutchies get dressed up in orange because it's the royal family's surname. The Royal Oranje's.

There are 3 rules to Queen's day (so I've been told):

1. Make sure you have enough to drink
2. Be close to a toilet all day
3. Know where your friends are

I just got back from the supermarket where Heineken was on sale (3 six packs for the price of 2), and I also bought a crate of Grolsch. 

Excuse me while I get changed into my orange attire and get my dutch on...

No comments: