Friday, April 23, 2010

Stupidity prevails

Sometimes I think I'm doing really well with the dutch language. That is, until a native screws up their face when they're listening to me, and says, 'Wat?!'

Considering I'm not doing formal lessons here, i'm quite proud of myself. The dutch are a little bit, peculiar, and, particular about their mother tongue. You can read more about it here, from another expat's point of view. ( which i completely concur with. )

They make it impossible to practice and are very good at shutting you down, if they hear a slight accent. Hence, self esteem can plummet, and having been indirectly mocked for putting yourself out of your comfort zone, you don't feel the need to keep trying. It's largely all about ego. They think that they're language is so complex, that only the creme de la creme of intellectuals can possibly get it. 'So don't bother trying, basically', is the message they send when they switch to english, or correct your dutch with a smirk on their face. 'We can speak better english, than your sorry attempt at dutch, it would be easier for all involved if we all just did this verbal transaction in english. Because, we're pretty smart.'

But, I persist, even indulging in a little self congratulatory smugness when I walk away from a successful conversation. (admittedly, "successful" defined as, "I got what I needed out of that transaction without any blank stares or visible laughter from the other person".)

"They thought I was native! Ha! Take that you cheese head! I'll master your language yet!'

Then I was getting ready to get off my train from work the other day. There are two buttons to the left of the train door, you need to push one, to open the doors as they aren't automatic. I just punched both of them, not really thinking, nor did I pay much attention to the writing above them. People around me stared at me as I was punching between the two of them, annoyed that nothing was happening, somewhat thinking, "I'm local, I can do this, at least they don't think I am a tourist that thinks that these doors open automatically."

Then the guy behind me pushed one of the buttons and seconds later, the doors hissed open. I looked over to him and he smiled at me, as if to say "There you go, honey, that's the way it's done." (Shock! A smile?! He couldn't have been dutch!) and then with a "clang", they settled into position and commuters piled off the rail carriage, sweeping me along with them, but not before I read the words above the buttons and the diagrams that sat underneath them.

"Openen" (diagram of doors parting)
"Gesloten" (diagram of doors shutting)

What a shut down.

No comments: