Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Back in the saddle again

I got my bike fixed finally, after coming home in the new year and realising that it had a puncture.

I haven't bothered fixing it for the last 3 months since the weather has been atrocious, and I am not THAT eager to assimilate or integrate or whatever that I feel the need to cycle in rain, hail and wind.

My bike cost me 20EU (ok, it wasn't quite a "legitimate" sale), but it cost me 35EU to get my bike lock oiled (it took me half an hour to unlock my bike from the tree that it has been chained to all winter), seat taken down, stand screw tightened, wheel cover straightened, tyre replaced, and new wheel, and handle bars tightened. In fairness, I only paid for the materials, and not the labour, because... the guy that fixed my bike was from Adelaide. Yep. Fairview Park born and bred! Instant connection, thus, he threw in a few favours for me.

Very nice guy called Daniel who has been living here for 6 years.

I got my bike fixed out of necessity, because I want to start cycling around in the sun instead of taking the tram everywhere and walking, because I realised over the Easter weekend that it takes twice as long to get anywhere on tram because the trams are always stuck in traffic and go through the centre of town, whereas ducking around on my bike is a lot faster.

It was a beautiful sunny and warm day, and I was happy to be cycling around again. I actually missed cycling. It felt liberating to have the sun on my face, and the breeze in my hair, and I was wearing sunglasses!!

No comments: