Thursday, April 1, 2010

Not asking for much...

I've been house sitting for Laura since she's in spain with her family for easter. She lives in the west so it's been a good chance to get to know the trams to and from work to get to and from my new place.

I've noticed more expats live in this area so i hear a lot more english conversations, and I like to listen. And I judge people by the types of things they converse about on public transport. Always have. Always will. You can't have a conversation on a quiet bus or tram or train and expect people not to listen... And therefore judge you from the snapshot they get of your personality/life from the time they spend with you in such close quarters.

Today i got on the tram, and I heard an Australian girl and an American guy talking. I don't hear a lot of Australian accents a lot on my side of town, so I was particularly curious.

I think they were colleagues on their way to some sort of get together. And I think he was keen on her. They were having a very casual, friendly conversation until he said ' so, when are you coming to the east side?' he asked ( i presumed that's where he lives) 'come over for dinner sometime' he threw in casually.
'what will you cook?' she asked slyly.
'what do you want?' he threw back, with a hint of seduction.
She paused and thought for a while.
'Lobster.' she finally declared seriously.
There was a brief silence. I think he was a bit shocked. I almost looked over to stare at her in disbelief. I studied him carefully. He was looking at her, searching her face to see if she was serious.
'Like a whole lobster?' he asked slowly.
'Yeah, i really miss it, I last had it when I went home for christmas' she said.
If she picked up on his puzzled vibe, she wasn't showing it.
'uh, ok. I'll see what i can do.'

that's when i had to get off the tram, and i was slightly annoyed i missed out on the rest of the flirtation.
I bet it didn't carry on for too much longer after that.

Wow-Did someone say "high maintenance"?

No comments: