Saturday, August 8, 2009

Breakfast in Denmark, Icecream in Sweden, Sleep time in Netherlands

My new BFF was a very nice, camp, young (21), Turkish med student dude from Istanbul that was staying in the same dorm as me. His name was Yagiz, but pronounced "Yuuurs" (??) and we hung out a bit.

On the first day we met, after doing some free stuff and eating lunch, we were bored at a cafe, and he randomly ran into a friend of his from Istanbul, Mert, who wsa studying Arts Management in Copenhagen, and who showed us around a bit, introduced us to some locals, and we went to a free moonlight cinema screening of the movie "Milk".

To be honest, Copenhagen was beautiful, but I just didn't feel "it" there. I just didn't like it, and I was spending money on food and survival, and I spent way too much there. There is something to be said for hanging out in a city of rich, beautiful people - your self esteem plummets along with your bank account balance. I wanted to change my flights, and go to Amsterdam sooner, but I couldn't without spending more money.

I mooched around a bit, in a bad mood, eating burger king and getting in worse moods.

Our last night in Copenhagen, we were sitting in the square off the main shopping street, drinking Carlsberg beer from the 7-11 and we met a couple of danish guys and some really young (18) kids from Chicago.

The Danes were crazy, unemployed, bisexual... drinking beers from crate that they had found outside Central Station and carrying a garbage bag of chips around with them, talking to tourists.


Photo courtesy of Chicago Nat's facebook album

We ended up going to a heavy metal club with them called 'The Rock'. I left promptly after arriving, thinking that I was way too old for this crap. By "this crap", I meant hanging out with people a whole generation younger than me, in a place where I felt severely out of place and you had to have 9 holes in your face and have an appreciation for Rage against the machine. I went home.

Yagiz convinced me to live life on the edge, and on our last day in Copenhagen, catch a train to Malmo, in Sweden. For $20 AU i thought being in 3 countries in one day could be a bit of a thrill.

We bought our tickets from Central Station for 78 DKK, and then ate fake subway ( Sunset Boulevard) for breakfast.

Photos courtesy of Yagiz's facebook album
(You probably want to see photos of Malmo and not me eating but whatever, I'll put them up in a big album later.

We caught the train, went down the longest bridge in Europe, connecting Denmark with Sweden, and saw Malmo.

Photos courtesy of Yagiz's facebook album


View Larger Map


It was a shithole ( a pretty shithole, but nothing to do ) but a much cheaper place than Copenhagen; we had walked the entire circumference of the city and saw all it's sights in an hour. I ate an icecream, and a hamburger from burger king.

Photos courtesy of Yagiz's facebook album

We then caught a train to the airport, because he was leaving the same day as me. Even though he was younger than me, we got along like a house on fire, and it was sort of sad to say goodbye even though we only met 2 days ago.


View Larger Map

Arrivéd in Amsterdam last night with a cough, at about 10pm. Upon exiting the airport, all I could smell was marijuana smoke. I decided to skip the hostel I had booked, with suspicions that I would feel worse than better, if I spent hours searching for a tiny hole in the wall hostel, and snuck in to a room with 4 other people. I decided I would live the high life in a 2.5 star hotel near the airport for 49 Euro.

My own room, shower, plasma and a double bed to recover. 10 hours of sleep was bliss.When I caught the free airport shuttle back to the airport, it smelt like weed. I went to the Airport doctor this morning, barely able to speak. It's not Swine Flu, it's just a normal flu. Sweet.

I just went to the newsagent, and thought they might sell an Expat newspaper in english, like othr cities do. ( Jakarta Post? Copenhagen Times?)

"If it was in english, it wouldn't be a dutch paper then would it?" the guy laughed at me.

Whatever. Jerk.

Welcome to my new home, and my new life in Amsterdam.

1 comment:

cewek said...

International Herald Times is your best bet.

*hugs*

You'll be fine and you'll enjoy Amsterdam more as you get to know it better.