Monday, August 10, 2009

Monday and things look ok

Here I am back at my secret little free internet spot, which is in a nice leafy carpark/cafe courtyard of the Hermitage Amsterdam museum.

I moved hostels this morning, to a Christian hostel in the Red Light district.

I couldn't put my finger on my last hostel, I am sure there are seedier hostels around the place, but this one was expensive and dingy and made me slightly uncomfortable. I guess I didn't see too many girls around the place, and I met a few guys that seemed harmless, I didn't want to engage in too much conversation with them, and tell them I was moving here, alone. I just sort of mumbled and wheezed and coughed around a bit, and smiled here or there. I felt safe, it was central, but there was nothing to it. The reception area was right in this area called "the lounge" which was about 1 metre by 1 metre, and had a small round table with a booth around it and a small tv, and then there were dorms upstairs and on that same floor.

The only saving grace was the tv in my dorm, where I tuned into "Girls of the Playboy mansion" and "Forrest Gump", while I dwelled on my snottiness. Both nights I stayed in and hogged the tv, it was okay, most of the people in the dorm were out til late, I assume to get stoned, or pick up a hooker.

This Christian place is large, full of light, and I am in a girls only dorm, which makes me immediately feel a bit better. My dorm is in the attic, there are about 6 dorms up there, and there is courtyard and a cafe, and it just seems to be more friendly, and safe. Any potential thieves etc would have a hard time lugging my suitcase down the winding stairs.

The girl that checked me in was nice, her name was Hayley, she was American I think, she asked me about my name, and when I said it was Indonesian, she said she had spent some time in Central Java, in a town called Salatiga. Funny, that when I think about that town, even before I met her, I alwasy thought of it as a Christian town, I think my old high school used to take International students from there.

Anyway, they had some signs up for free board and bed (laundry and internet and food and room for free?!? Yes please!). The catch? Cleaning from 10-3 with an hour lunch break inbetween. I could cope with that, if it meant I wasn't spending 25-33 Euros a night on a hostel, and meeting some (christian) people, and using their internet, and washing my clothes. I had an interview with a yank called Austin who seemed nice, and said he could have a place for me in a week or so. I am keen to do it after I get back from Spain on the 27th of August, save my money on a deposit for a room or something, if nothing else, I can save my money.

I am feeling a bit better health wise, and also, a bit more of a positive attitude after some positive interactions in the hostel and with the city hall folk after trying to register myself as an "alien".

I was at the wrong city hall, but this internet hotspot is on the way to the one I am supposed to be going to, so I thought I would take the opportunity to update the blog.

1 comment:

cewek said...

Small steps add up to be big steps! Keep at it Rani!