Thursday, August 13, 2009

Things that are currently annoying me.

1. Supermarkets don't take credit cards here. Plastic ain't so fantastic in the Netherlands. So, you can only use your credit cards for 'useful' things I guess, like marijuana, hookers, and eurotrash clothing. Bah.

2. I caught a tram 20 minutes south to Ghettoville, Deep South of Amsterdam, to the Foreign Police station (don't ask, it's another freaking paperwork thing that I just got round to doing.) It was closed. Apparently it's only open from 8am to 12pm. Not that I could have known, because if I had tried to ring them it would have cost me a ridiculous amount of money, like 0.10 EU a second from a payphone. I had to turn around and get back on the tram back to the city

3. After not paying to ride on the trams for the last week, I decided to be honest and pay for one ticket to get to here said Foreign Police Station. I forgot to beep my card out of the tram (?!), and the conductor standing behind me didn't say anything as I hopped off. After being told the FP station was closed, I got the next tram back to the city, and my card wouldn't work because I didn't beep out, and the new conductor made me a buy a new ticket, even though I argued that my ticket was still good for another half hour. That is the last time I pay to get on a tram. Maybe.

The same conductor hunted down people that hadn't swiped their cards on the tram by shouting into the tram microphones at random people. "Hey you, Sir, swipe your card, yes you, swipe it!"


4. I was supposed to check in with the foreign police within 3 days of arriving, apparently, but I have so many different sheets of paper that all say different things, I don't know if I have done the right things or not. After experiencing the wrath of a mere tram conductor, I fear my visit to the Foreign Police tomorrow.

5. I move out of my nice 4 bed dorm in the attic of the hostel tomorrow, and into a 16 bed dorm for 2 nights. Joy.

6. I just realised the dictionary I bought yesterday is English to Dutch, not Dutch to English. Grrrrr.

7. Still no replies to any responses I have put out for rooms, and not many rooms in my price range popping up.

No comments: